Gold-Medal Match: United States - China
• This will be the seventh meeting between China and United States at the world championships.
• United States won the first three meetings (1956, 1978 and 1982). China won the last three meetings (1986, 1990 and 2006).
• United States have won both their previous meeting with AVC countries at the 2014 World Championship, beating Kazakhstan and Thailand both 3-0.
• China have won their last 13 world championship meetings against NORCECA countries, since losing the 1998 final 3-0 against Cuba.
• United States and China also met in each of the last five Olympic Games, with USA winning the last two matches (2008 and 2012).
• The only 1-2 final in which they have previously met in a major tournament was at the Los Angeles 1984 Olympic Games, with China winning 3-0.
• Both countries have lost two matches at the 2014 World Championship. The winner will become the second nation to win the gold medal after losing twice following Italy in 2002.
• United States can become world champions for the first time.
• United States qualified for the final for the second time at the world championships. In 2002, they lost 3-2 against Italy.
• United States will finish in the top-2 for the third time as the tournament in 1967 had only a round robin.
• United States have won two silver and two bronze medals at the world championships and can become the third nation to complete the medal set following Russia/Soviet Union and Japan.
• If United States claim silver, they will extend the record of most medals won without winning gold.
• China can become world champion for the third time following their world titles in 1982 (beating Peru in the final) and 1986 (beating Cuba). Only Russia/Soviet Union have more than three world titles (7). Japan and Cuba have won the world championship three times.
• China have also reached the final in 1990 (losing against Soviet Union) and 1998 (losing against Cuba)
• China are in the 1-2 final for a record fifth time at the world championships. Cuba have played a 1-2 final four times (world championship have 1-2 finals since 1978).
• China can equal Russia/Soviet Union and Cuba in winning a 1-2 final three times (since 1978).
• China can also equal Brazil in losing three 1-2 finals (since 1978).