Bronze Medal Match: Brazil – Italy
• This will be the third world championship meeting between Brazil and Italy.
• Brazil won both previous meetings 3-0 (Last 16 in 1990 and 1st round in 2010).
• These countries have met twice at the Olympic Games, with Brazil winning both matches (3-2 in 2004 and 3-0 in 2008).
• They met once at the 2014 World Grand Prix, with Brazil winning 3-0 in Sassari (ITA).
• The last time Italy defeated Brazil in a major tournament was at the 2011 world Cup (3-0).
• Brazil have lost their only previous 3-4 final at the world championship as they lost 3-1 against Russia in 1998.
• Brazil will finish in the top four for the fifth time in the last six editions. They only finished seventh in 2002.
• Brazil can claim their fourth medal at the wold championship after taking three silver medals (1994, 2006 and 2010).
• The last time Brazil lost back-to-back world championship matches was in 2002, when they lost their quarterfinal match against China followed by a defeat against Korea in the qualification 5-8 match.
• Brazil need one more victory to surpass Japan's total of 87 wins at the world championship. Only Russia/Soviet Union have won more matches (120).
• It is the second time Italy are in a 3-4 final at the world championship. They lost 3-0 against Serbia and Montenegro in 2006.
• Italy's only medal at the world championship is a gold medal won in 2002.
• Italy will finish in the top four for the third time after 2002 (gold) and 2006 (fourth). They were ranked fifth in 2010.
• The last time Italy lost back-to-back world championship matches was in 2010, when they lost against Czech Republic and Brazil.