Pool E: Germany - Azerbaijan
• Germany have won both previous world championship meetings with Azerbaijan, both as unified Germany. In 1994, they won 3-1 in the Last 16 round and in 2006 3-0 in the first group stage.
• Their last meeting at a major tournament came over five years ago, when Germany beat Azerbaijan in straight sets in the second group stage of the 2009 European championship.
• Saturday’s 3-0 win over Belgium ended a four match losing streak, their longest losing run as unified Germany.
• Germany have lost both matches against fellow CEV nations in this tournament. Since 1974, they have experienced one three-match losing streak against European sides in a single tournament – in 2002.
• Germany have lost every match in at the 2014 world championship in which they gave up a set.
• Their three wins came in straight sets.
• Azerbaijan beat Croatia on Saturday (3-1) to claim their fourth victory at the 2014 World Championship.
• These four wins already equal Azerbaijan’s record for a single tournament. In 2010, they also managed to win four matches.
• Azerbaijan can win back-to-back matches for the second time ever at world championships, after beating Puerto Rico 3-0 in their last match of the 2006 tournament and Japan 3-2 in the first of the 2014 edition.